Monday, July 14, 2014

Repeat Impressions Project Of The Week - Making Your Own Chevron

Joyce here, and its my turn to present the Repeat Impression's Project Of The Week. 

I really enjoy all the chevron printed paper that is currently available.  It's such a fun look.  I've have also seen some instructions online showing how to make your own chevron accents for you projects.  I thought I'd play around with that a little bit and show you a few different looks.



First, I'll show you a super quick way to create the basic chevron look.  Select a paper that fits the card you are planning to create.  Cut the paper into small squares.  I used 1 1/4" squares for most of my version but this same design can be created using whichever size squares you like.

Once you cut your squares, cut them on half from corner to corner to create triangles. 


Like this.....


Draw a faint pencil mark across the width of the card at whatever height you would like - I placed mine at 2" from the bottom. 

 

Place the long edge of each triangle along the pencil line.  Get one glued down and just build off of that. 
 
Now, you just add another row of triangles on the opposite side of that same pencil line.  I left just the smallest gap between rows.  Just line up that first triangle using that upper row as a guide - just shift it over half the length of a triangle.  The end tip of the lower triangle should be straight down from the highest part of the upper triangle.  Once you have that first triangle glued down, the next ones go in very easily till your row is complete.
 

 
Cut any long ends off, using the edge of the card as a guide. 
 
 



Here is one version of a card using this chevron design.  This image is RI 8204-H Kitten.  I colored this adorable kitty with my Copic markers (E51, E53, E55 and just a few touches of E57).

Once I had one card made, I just had to see what other looks could be created using this same idea. 

 

Next I created a card using embossed paper.  What I like about creating my own chevrons is that you can make them whatever color or size you want.  Where preprinted paper may not have that exact color your looking for.


My last version is a layered chevron.


I did this the same as I did my original card, but in this case I made my pencil line on that blue background paper.  Once the triangles were adhered, I just made some simple straight cuts about an 1/8" away from the chevron paper to create little matted background. 


I've been having fun creating with these chevron backgrounds.  An interesting background can be a huge step towards creating a great card.  Add one of the beautiful images from Repeat Impressions and you have something special. 

Thanks for joining me for the RI POTW.  I hope you'll give this technique a try. 

Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment